Thursday, January 14, 2010

This is the first blog entry announcing the founding of Driftwood Garden CSA! My name is Ben Whatley, and I am going to be the farmer for a community of families who will participate in Community Supported Agriculture near Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I moved south this last fall after apprenticing for the growing season on an organic CSA (Broadturn Farm) near Portland, Maine. I didn't know I would end up living in Carrboro and farming some land up in Hillsborough, all I knew was I was headed south to learn how to grow sweet potatoes, okra, and other crops we can't grow up north. I'm glad I have found so much opportunity here, but I guess you could say I washed in like a piece of acadian driftwood...

I'm participating in the apprenticeship program at PLANT @ Breeze Farm in Hillsborough, a Farm Enterprise Incubator with NC State Cooperative Extension. This winter we are studying farming through a weekly workshop series with local farmers and extension agents, and then I will have the opportunity to apply to lease land at the Breeze Farm for this enterprise. I am hopeful I will be accepted, and be able to get on the ground early to sow crops for a number of families in the area.

On this blog I will announce the weekly harvest for my CSA members, and post a recipe for a new vegetable each week, I will grow a diverse crop of vegetables and herbs, with an emphasis on variety, flavor, and nutrition. Driftwood Garden is kid and family-friendly, and I will also be offering a Senior/Young adult single share for a discounted rate.

Stay posted for news on Driftwood Garden CSA! Thanks for reading--Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment