Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Last Distribution Tomorrow...and Thank You!

Hi friends,

Ben here, reminding you that tomorrow I'll be delivering vegetables to you, for the last time this year. It's been a real privilege learning to farm with your support. I took a plunge, going straight from first-year apprentice on a CSA in Maine to managing one of my own in a new climate, and you stood behind me, even when things didn't go quite as planned. I learned a lot out there, one thing being that I don't want to farm in this climate, ultimately. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I applaud the farmers who do grow here. They're some of the most talented farmers in the country, and I've appreciated being down here and learning something new every time I talked to Alex Hitt, or John Soehner, or young farmers like George O'Neal or the guys here at Ever Laughter. I'm glad that they can take the heat, and provide wholesome food for the Triangle, because I just can't (take the heat). My upbringing in Maine gave me a strong constitution for the cold. If I were a vegetable variety in the seed catalog, I would be "cold-hardy" as opposed to "heat-resistant." During my first year farming in Maine I liked getting up at dawn on a May morning and going to the field wearing my coat and knit cap, only to shed it later as the day warmed up. I have to say I was a little taken a back when we had 90-degree days for weeks on end here in April! See, I love crisp fall days, it's my favorite season. I guess you could say I'm wired to expect the leaves to be turning and falling off the trees right now. Not that it's not lovely and mild...we sure could use some rain though. If I didn't have irrigation, we wouldn't be eating anything but okra (maybe) right now!

So I think in the end I'm going to farm somewhere up north. I've been taking some time to explore other places, like North Carolina. I might try some other places yet, before I settle down. But when I do settle down, I want it to be somewhere I can farm for the next five decades. So I want to be pretty sure I can work comfortably there. I also have realized that I need to gain some more skills to pursue my ultimate dream, which is to grow food using draft power from horses and oxen. I've learned a few things about growing vegetables, but it's going to take some work to make a teamster out of me yet. I did recently have the opportunity to drive a single horse in Virginia doing some field work, and it convinced me that this is my cause--growing food with the least amount of petroleum possible. I do think we're close to peak oil, if we haven't peaked already, and I want to implement a farm system for my lifetime which is not dependent on fossil fuel, rather which relies on live power--renewable and sustainable for generations to come. I'm looking into apprenticeship opportunities in different parts of the country right now, so there's a good chance that by spring I'll be giving it a shot somewhere far away!

I hope you all enjoyed your produce this year. I was glad to grow it, and even when it fell short of perfection I know I was trying my best, and I always knew I that I had a supportive group of folks out there. There's hope for us all, as long as people are willing to take a chance on cooperative ventures like CSA. We put our trust in people and the work that they do with care to make the community better, and we don't only judge the final product, but also their intention, and the good work that they strive to do. Because we all want to live the good life, with connection to our food, and our community. I'm glad I had the chance to do that with you all this year. And I hope you'll sign up for other CSAs. Timberwood Organics in Efland delivers to Southern Village. Many other farms have local pickup: Eco Farm or Elysian Fields Farm at the Carrboro Farmers Market on Wednesdays, for instance. CSA is what I ultimately want to do with my animal-powered organic farm. I believe in it, because I believe in your power to change the world by supporting small farms and other community-based enterprises.

So, what will we have to eat tomorrow? There'll be more greens (man alive, it's been too long and I just can't get enough)--I'll try to stuff a little more in the bag tomorrow so you can have a cleansing feast of good tonic greens. There'll be radishes, and okra, and peppers, and one last round of basil. I just made some fresh pesto today for lunch, and it made me think we should go for it one more time, cause once it's gone, it's gone, right?

Thanks again, folks. We'll see ya tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Ben Whatley

1 comment:

  1. Benji! If you see this comment give me a call, 732 343 1751 or email, tompaduano@gmail.com

    You met Jared in Vermont and saw Farmer and the Horse. I would love to talk and catch up!

    BFD 2004!

    ReplyDelete