Hey guys,
Well we sure missed the rain today...Better luck next time I guess. We
only got a little drizzle. I was out transplanting fennel for the fall
with the guys at Ever Laughter Farm. Then I went over to my plot at
Breeze Farm to check on our veggies. Pulled some morninglories out of
the radishes, which we should get a little of over the next couple
weeks if a groundhog doesn't come get em first. I've been marking my
territory out there, if you know what I mean, to deter him, but
they're persistent, and tough little guys. Don't mean to scare you
here. We'll probably get some radishes and some greens next week to
vary the ration of okra et al.
That being said, there's more okra this week (did somebody say
Jambalaya..?), a small variety of peppers, basils, black-eyed peas,
and sweet potatoes. I'll be delivering tomorrow same time.
This recipe comes out of the book "Around the Southern Tabe" by Sarah
Belk. We've made variations on this theme by frying diced sweet
potatoes with peppers, okra, or tofu, so don't worry if you're
vegetarian or don't like country ham. I'll quote here some interesting
tidbits from her book before giving you the recipe:
"'Hash," a word that comes from the Old French word "hacher" or "to
chop," supposedly found its way into the English language in the
mid-1600s, but there are recipes for hash-type dishes dating at least
as far back as the fourteenth century. An invention of neccessity that
has seen many variations...the traditional New England version, red
flannel hash, for example, is generally made of the leftovers of a New
England boiled dinner: corned beef, carrots, and potatoes. (Some
authorities assert that the red color comes from the addition of
beets.) [...] The version here blends the slight sweetness of sweet
potatoes with the saltines of ham and the bite of onion to produce a
rich flavor more surprising, perhaps, than traditional hash. But it's
as wholesome a hash as any!
"Sweet Potato Hash"
2 T vegetable oi (less, if using nonstick skillet)
2 T unsalted butter (less, if using nonstick skillet)
1 lb sweet potatoes (about 2 medium) peeled and diced in 1/4-1/3 in
cubes (approx. 3 cups)
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 lb Smithfield or other dry-cured country ham, diced into 1/4 in cubes
1. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add
sweet potatoes and onion, toss to coat, then cover and cook over
medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Increase heat to high, add ham and cook, tossing occasionally, 4 to
5 minutes, or until potatoes are golden-brown with some crisp edges.
Serve hot, accompanied by fried or poached eggs.
Serves 4.
--SEE YA TOMORROW!
Ben
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Marking my territory." I love it. -LV
ReplyDelete